Thursday, February 8, 2007

Further commentary

from the Hermitage Heart website Forum, something that I was asked to write about Tangaryo, that some will not have access to, but speaks to my thanks to all of you here in Toledo for your practice:

The Bible says that 'many are called, but few are chosen', and I have heard it said that the translation is more correctly 'few choose to receive'. As Myotai Sensei said of the koan, in the complexity of the world, why take up the robe when the temple bell rings? Why indeed? Surely there could be better things to do than sit in a tucked away room in a former monastery on a cushion much of an entire day, becoming breathing, centering on one's hara...if there is I can't possibly imagine. Doing so, taking up the practice, seems right, is right, is 'just so'. So you just 'do it'. Why? Why not!As I told my new found dharma sister Jun'en, when I heard her weep so early in the day, I said, "Oh, boy, this is gonna be tougher than I thought". I cannot bear to hear someone cry; I want to go to them, and fix it, whatever 'it' is. But I couldn't. As we are alone in the world, we are alone with our practice in that time. So I left to do slow kinhin in the hallway, and centered myself again, and determined to be as strong in my practice as I could be, as that was my only way to be of help. It was, of course, a greater help to my practice, and I am grateful to Jun'en for that gift. I am grateful to Ho-an for monitoring us that day; the decision to have us do slow kinhin was so powerful. I am so grateful to Chikyo, who doubles as my aikido sensei, and his wife Zuihan, for their efforts with the sangha in Toledo and in introducing me to Hermitage Heart and Myotai Sensei. I am so very grateful to Mytotai Sensei for being my teacher. I am thankful for each of you in this sangha, this community. Feels like home.
Gassho,
Chuck

No comments: